- Photo by Ernie Mills
- Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosma prayed at the Statehouse prayer service on the opening day of the General Assembly session.
According to Indiana state law, the General Assembly generates a biannual budget when in session on the odd-numbered years with the end of session lasting until April 29. On even-numbered years when money isn't a top priority in discussions, the law requires the session to end March 16. A shorter session means a shortened timeline to get things done. With a week and a half already done and in the record books the session's calendar is on a fast track.
• Full House and Senate sessions alternate between mornings and afternoons Mondays – Thursdays. When each chamber is not in full session committee hearings are held on individual bills.
• No sessions or committee hearings are held on Fridays.
• January 28 is the deadline for all committee reports.
• All eligible bills passed out of committee must be through 2nd reading by Feb. 2 and through 3rd reading by Feb. 3 to continue through the legislative process. Any bills not passed on 2nd and 3rd readings by those deadlines are considered dead for the year.
• No sessions are held in either chamber Feb. 4 or 5.
• House and Senate chambers begin consideration of bills from opposite chambers in committees and full sessions Feb. 8.
• All committee reports on bills for opposite chambers must be submitted by Feb. 25.
• All eligible bills from the House passed out of Senate committees must be through 2nd reading by March 1 and through 3rd reading by March 2.
• All eligible bills from the Senate passed out of House committees must be though 2nd reading by March 2 and through 3rd reading by March 3.
• Any bills not passed on 2nd and 3rd readings by those deadlines are considered dead for the year.
• Committee conferences on bills passed through both chambers with differing amendments begin March 3.
• March 7 – 10 is dedicated to full sessions in both chambers for concurring votes on bills agreed on and passed out of conference committees.
• Friday, March 11 is reserved for possible full sessions in both chambers if needed.
• The 2016 General Assembly session must adjourn by 11:59 p.m. Monday, March 14.