- Submitted photo
- District 6 Libertarian Candidate Kevin Fleming.
Libertarian District 6 Candidate
1. What do you offer as a candidate?
I offer an alternative for voters who say they want a change in local government, and actually mean it.
2. What does your district most need from the City Council?
A sense of urgency. When local government starts a project they need to see it through. For instance the West 38th St construction project has taken way to long.
3. What's your opinion of the 2012 budget proposed by the mayor?
I think the budget proposal could have more cuts, but the cuts to animal control budget is nothing more than a scare tactic to get the community to support higher spending.
4. What is your position on a comprehensive smoking ban?
Smoking bans are a violation of a business owners property rights and hurt business.
5. Do you think the city needs more police officers?
I do not believe the city needs more officers. I believe that when you hire more officers, just for the purpose of having more officers you have to lower the standards of the pool that you hire from, and this creates the problems we have seen.
6. Do you support increased funding for public transit?
No. The mass transit proposals would only benefit a very limited number of Marion County residents and would not be fair to those who do not benefit.
7. Do you think the streets and sidewalks in your district are in good shape?
Sidewalks yes, streets no. Again the city needs to a better job of finishing the project it starts.
8. Name one project that would most benefit your district.
The city needs to do better at encouraging the success of small business. When any business fails it hurts us all.
9. What question do you wish we'd asked?
I worry about breed specific dog bans, and am adamantly opposed to them.