- Photo courtesy of the Indiana State Fair
- Giant Pumpkin growing champion John Barenie of Griffith, Ind., is the only Hoosier to win the annual competition at the Indiana State Fair.1,293 pounds
On Saturday, Aug. 11, - Day 9 of the Indiana State Fair - a giant pumpkin grower from Northwest Indiana defended the championship title he earned last year at the fair's Giant Pumpkin Contest. He's the only Hoosier ever to win that title.
The win marked John Barenie's third championship overall in the 11th annual event. He still holds the state record for biggest pumpkin, set last year with a 1,308 entry.
The 1,293 pumpkin he entered this year topped the runner up by 208 pounds.
The win earned Barenie $1,000 check and a trophy from the Indiana Pumpkin Growers Association.
The Indiana State Fair runs through Aug. 19.
Name Hometown Pumpkin Weight
1. John Barenie Griffith, Ind. 1,293 pounds
2. John Van Hook Somerset, Ky. 1,085 pounds
3. Trent Boyde Cullmon, Ala. 885 pounds
4. David Cantrell Corryton, Tenn. 620 pounds
5. Thomas Gary Indianapolis 609 pounds
6. Jeffrey Young Hamilton County, Ind. 553 pounds
7. Mikkal Hodge Morristown, Ind. 299 pounds
8. Kelly Klinker Woodburn, Ind. 260 pounds