NUVO Alternative Newsweekly in Indianapolis is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced A&E Editor who values independent journalism and arts and entertainment coverage more than a fat paycheck.
Working as a member of the NUVO Editorial Department, the A&E Editor is responsible for the day-to-day coverage of A&E on NUVO.net and week-to-week coverage of A&E in print, both our weekly publication and our CityGuides series.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A protagonist for all things A&E in the Indianapolis area, telling stories through multiple media in print and web via print stories, blogs, photos, video. The position encompasses all the arts, plus comedy, sports and recreation, film and food.
Critical acumen toward the arts is necessary, but you have a veteran team of reviewers to assign, edit and manage.
Applicant should have curiosity about all genres of A&E; we’re not interested in someone who loves one genre, say, visual arts, but can’t stand classical music. We want someone who enjoys the “high” arts and the “low” arts.
We want someone with an insatiable desire to discover the new innovator, artist, protagonist, etc. in the community, as well as respect and knowledge for those who comprise Indy’s A&E cultural history. Therefore, it’s essential for the A&E Editor to be out in the community with frequency.
Knowledge of AP style is important; a zest for accuracy is a must.
• assign feature stories, reviews and cover stories for print related to all things A&E. Applicant will in most cases handle acquiring or assigning art and photography to accompany that content
• write feature stories, reviews, cover stories and previews (go/do)
• be responsible for fresh daily content for nuvo.net
• participate in our CityGuides series as is pertinent to the A&E categories
• be responsible for event/calendar entries related to all things A&E, although finding capable assistance peers and subordinates is acceptable.
• meet or exceed deadline requirements for all the above.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
* Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or New Media.
* Experience in implementing and managing digital content preferred.
* Strong writing and editing skills with a keen interest in growing digital media and audiences.
* Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
* Strong peer-management and teaching skills; the ability to work well with a large number of writers of varied background, ability and experience.
* Familiarity of Indianapolis, Indianapolis arts, culture and music, NUVO and the NUVO brand an advantage.
* A team player; humor and enthusiasm essential to flourish in the high stress environment of publishing.
Send cover letter, resume and up to three published clips in electronic format by July 6 to firstname.lastname@example.org.