The ApocaDocs, Jim and Michael, present the Pre-Apocalypse News & Info Quiz (PANIQuiz) for the week beginning Monday April 25, 2011, to test your knowledge of current environmental news.
Free Book, "Humoring the Horror of the Converging Emergencies"
This Week's PANIQuestions (Answers below):
1. What was discovered for the first time, regarding ozone depletion?
a. Donald Trump is just making it worse.
b. Ozone depletion exists on other planets.
c. It's not a hole, but more like a tear.
d. It is now everywhere.
e. It can now be linked to climate change at the Equator.
2. Why are dogs better than cats when it comes to toxins in the environment?
a. Dogs' metabolisms break down chemicals better.
b. Dogs are more stoic.
c. Cats are above it all.
d. Cats refuse to help scientists; dogs are scientists' best friend.
e. Dogs consider it their duty to take on the toxins.
3. Why is it vital to prevent catastrophic forest fires near
a. The entire region could EXPLODE.
b. What, you think catastrophic fires are a-okay?
c. Firefighters would be exposed.
d. It would ruin the scientific studies currently in process.
e. Trees have radiation locked up; a fire will release it.
4. According to a national study, how does belief in human-created climate change break down?
a. Depends on whether you are a high school grad or college grad.
b. Depends on whether you are Democrat or Republican.
c. Depends on whether you are dead or alive.
d. Depends on whether you are a man or a woman.
e. Depends on whether you prefer dogs or cats.
5. What explains the superaggregation of humpback whales gorging on krill in Antarctic bays?
a. Lack of sea ice.
b. Nothing, it's a mystery!
c. Someone's making a movie.
d. A shift in ocean currents.
e. Better organization among the humpback intelligentsia.
6. Why are scientists probing the genetics of species like Douglas firs?
a. Trying to assess why these species are in a death spiral.
b. Trying to assess, genetically, how these species adapt to climate change.
c. Because they are evil scientists.
d. Because Douglas firs are a potential source of nutrition.
e. Because the scientists got a huge friggin' pile of money to do so!