News

Thumbs down: Blue-green blues

comment
00thumbdownnew.jpg
Algae blooms on some lakes and reservoirs can be fatally toxic to some animals. The DNR reported that two dogs died and two more became sick after swimming in a Salamonie Lake cove. The seasonal algae, which is bolstered by heat, sunlight and fertilizer runoff, can increase as water levels drops, the DNR said. People should seek medical attention if they have symptoms including rashes, skin and eye irritation, nausea, stomach aches, and tingling fingers and toes following a swim. The blooms, "generally appear as a scum on the water surface," the DNR said. Officials recommend that humans and animals both shower with soapy water after swimming as well as checking with property managers to gather the latest reports on water health before diving in. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management posts testing results for 13 Indiana lakes at algae.IN.gov.

Comments

This Week's Flyers

Around the Web