The ApocaDocs, Jim and Michael, present the Pre-Apocalypse News & Info Quiz (PANIQuiz) for the week beginning Monday, Sept. 13, 2010, to test your knowledge of current environmental news.
New Free Book, "Humoring the Horror of the Converging Emergencies"
This Week's PANIQuestions (Answers below):
1. According to a University of Georgia prof, where is the oil from the BP oil spill?
a. On the bottom of the Gulf.
b. No one can fathom.
c. On the surface of the water.
d. Ingested by fairies.
e. Ingested by microbes.
2. Why is there radiation contamination in the city of Moscow?
a. There's a secret (and leaking) nuclear plant in the center of the city.
b. It helps their image.
c. For poops and laughs.
d. Radioactive waste used to be just dumped in local ravines.
e. They eat radioactive waste for breakfast.
3. What do Canadian scientists say the Harper government is doing to them?
a. Killing them.
b. Under-funding them.
c. Tickling them.
d. Muzzling them.
e. Lauding them.
4. What is significant about a new superbug, NDM-1, from India?
a. It melts flesh in under a minute.
b. It transforms victims into Bollywood-esque zombies.
c. Unlike other superbugs, it is humble.
d. It only travels first class.
e. It has an enzyme that can deactivate all antibiotics.
5. What is one vision toward providing energy on a town-by-town basis?
a. A miniature nuclear reactor.
b. Citizens go fart into a "town square tube."
c. "Pocket coal-fired plants."
d. Citizens' exhalations, captured, stored, then turned into energy.
e. Gossip, captured, stored, then turned into energy.
6. What invasive species was reported in ocean waters of the UK?
a. Killer coral.
b. Killer walruses.
c. Killer crabs.
d. Killer shrimp.
e. Killer manatees.
7. Tom Lauria used to dissemble for big tobacco; now what is he trying to convince people?
a. That bottled water is indisposable.
b. That the planet is not warming.
c. That people will eventually be able to live on those plastic islands.
d. That toxic chemicals make you stronger!
e. That species extinction is good for the planet.
8. To what are the fish kills in Plaquemines Parish attributed, instead of BP oil?
a. Plan 9 from outerspace.
b. Chokepoints in the Louisiana Bayouscape's oxygen valve.
c. Oxygen-free dead zones from fertilizer runoff.
d. Normal variation in dead zones.
e. Zombie fish infecting other dead fish, causing them to rise from
9. What happened to the super-rare Asian "Unicorn" in Laos?
b. It was found as bushmeat in the village market.
c. It met up with the fairies and disappeared.
d. It broke off its horn in hopes of becoming a pony.
e. It was captured, and died in captivity.